Wednesday 5 September 2012

adulthood

I have looked after myself since I was 13 as neither of my parents acted like adults. So I learnt how to be an adult by doing the opposite of what they did. I survived but apparently this is not being an adult. Living with Paul has shown me how I am still a teenager struggling to be an adult. For example, I have become socially awkward - I don't really know how to have a personal conversation with people - I communicate as a professional fine though as it does not require any personal commitment on either side. Paul gave me these suggestions to make my communication better -  You don't need to have an opinion on everything. And even if you do, you don't always need to voice it. When a group of people talk, its balanced. Otherwise it's a lecture. Not a conversation.  Listen more, talk less. Use your inside voice & stop shouting at people 2 feet away. And never interrupt anyone again unless they're being extremely offensive. We actually had a huge fight because I got so upset by him calling me immature and socially retarded. But he is right. Which after crying and moping all of last night I finally admitted to him and myself. So now trying to act like a real

No comments:

Post a Comment